Have you heard of Child Friendly Leeds? It is a fantastic initiative by Leeds City Council whose main objective is to make our city child friendly and a place that respects children and their rights.
“We’re working to bring everyone together to make Leeds a child friendly city” – CFL website
Celebrating 5 years
Child Friendly Leeds is 5 this year
Child Friendly Leeds has the interests of children at heart and involves them and their opinions and wishes where they can. This can be seen in their vision, outlined in 12 wishes, that children in Leeds formulated:
The vision: The 12 wishes
In a child friendly Leeds:
- Children and young people can make safe journeys and easily travel around the city.
- Children and young people find the city centre welcoming and safe, with friendly places to go, have fun and play.
- There are places and spaces to play and things to do, in all areas and open to all.
- Children and young people can easily find out what they want to know, when they want it and how they want it.
- Children, young people and adults have a good understanding of children’s rights, according to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Children and young people are treated fairly and feel respected.
- Children and young people have the support and information they need to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- All our learning places identify and address the barriers that prevent children and young people from engaging in and enjoying learning.
- There are a greater number of better quality jobs, work experience opportunities and good quality careers advice for all.
- All children and young people have their basic rights met.
- Children and young people express their views, feel heard and are actively involved in decisions that affect their lives — this is what we mean by ‘participation’.
- Places and spaces where children and young people spend time and play, are free of litter and dog fouling.
Child-Friendly Leeds ambassadors
Child-friendly Leeds is supported by a network of ambassadors who help make those 12 wishes reality for children in Leeds. We were very honoured when Jane from Child-Friendly Leeds approached us a couple of weeks ago to ask us if we would like to become ambassadors. As mums of little Leeds born and bread people we didn’t have to think twice! We would love to help make our city an even more liveable place for them and all children of Leeds!
Bloom Bakers children
Our little Leeds born people
You might find us and our biscuits at some of the exciting events that Child Friendly Leeds has planned for this year, such as their 5th birthday party. Keep your eyes peeled and make sure you follow them on social media to learn about all the great services they offer for families in Leeds!